Thursday, November 26, 2009

Trapping Termites

Many had asked the same question and I repeated my answers many times...so the next one who ask I'll ask him/her refer to this blog. My study is subject is termites. Very simple, capture them, count them and kill them. Let me show you some illustrations.


Few months ago, I inserted some wooden stakes into the ground. All the stakes are inserted approximately 1m apart and close to the building known for being attacked by termites. This is one of my selected location.

Periodically I'll unplug the stakes to check for termite activities. If there is, that's a suitable place for an in-ground station. Picture on the right shows the wooden stake eaten by termites.






Then I'll dig a hole, to fit the station. The feeling is exactly like digging my own grave except the size is smaller. The hole was dug in the middle of the location where the infested wooden stake was.



Of course, the whole point of digging the hole is to fit the coffin, that's the box and wooden block was placed in the middle as food for the termites. Wood used: Jelutong, Dyera costulata one of the termite most preferred wood (Ngee et al. 2004).


What I did next was dampened the wood and soil around. That is to draw termites into the station and feed on the yummy wood, it is believe that certain level of moisture tend to promote termite activity (Su et al. 2003). Anyways, don't bother to understand. 




And finally the easiest part was to cover the station to minimize possible disturbance. I'll update when there is result, hopefully there is.



References:
Peng-Soon, Ngee, Ai Tashiro, Tsuyoshi Yoshimura, Zairi Jaal & Chow-Yang, Lee. 2004. Wood Preference of Selected Malaysian Subterranean Termites (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae, Termitidae). Sociobiology Vol. 43, No. 3, 535-550pp
Nan-Yao, Su, Helena Puche. 2003. Tunneling Activity of Subterranean Termites (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in Sand with Moisture Gradients. Journals of Economic Entomology 96(1): 88-93pp

2 comments:

Hui Yi said...

So complicated..

How Jun said...

It's actually very easy la...but tiring to dig the hole